- Propranolol Hydrochloride
- 40 mg
- Sonear Laboratories Ltd.
- Essential hypertension
- Angina pectoris
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Prophylaxis of migraine, etc.
Propranolol is almost completely absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, but a portion is immediately metabolized by the liver when passing through the portal circulation. Peak plasma concentration occurs in 1 to 1.5 hours after oral administration. The plasma half-life of propranolol is from 3 to 6 hours. The metabolites of propranolol are excreted through the urine.
Dosage & Administration
- Hypertension: Initially 80 mg twice daily, may be increased at weekly intervals and then maintenance dose of 160-320 mg daily is recommended.
- Angina pectoris: Initially 40 mg 2-3 times daily and then maintenance dose of 120-240 mg daily is given.
- Thyrotoxicosis: 10-40 mg, 3-4 times daily is given.
- Anxiety: 40 mg once daily, may be increased to three times daily.
- Prophylaxis of migraine: Initially 40 mg 2-3 times daily; then maintenance dose of 80-160 mg daily is recommended.
Child (From day 1 to 18 years): Hypertension:
- Neonate: 0.25-0.5 mg/kg 3 times daily, adjusted according to response.
- Child 1 month: 12 years: 0.25-1 mg/kg 3 times daily, maximum dose 5 mg/kg daily in divided dose.
- Child 12-18 years: initially 80 mg twice daily, maintain 160-320 mg daily.